Monday, May 19, 2008

10 Years with "Lance Romance"

I had the great privilege of spending my 10th wedding anniversary with my incredible bride! Since we were unable to celebrate our anniversary as we would have liked for several years, I talked the talk of telling my wife that for our 10th we would do something special. About a month ago she said, "you aren't planning to do anything for our anniversary are you?" Those words cut to the bone! I figured, "I talked the big talk, now I have to walk the big walk!"

So after speaking with another missionary friend about his travels and checking out prices on the net I decided to take her to Rome! My sister came to visit and watched our kids, and we took off to Rome using our rewards miles from our credit cards!

Despite the picture to the right, we are not Catholics! It just happens to be a picture I liked from our trip and we are standing here at the Vatican of all places! I'll make another post of our thoughts of the Vatican later.

But wow we had a great time as we had 4 days with no schedule and no kids for the first time since our honeymoon (We did not have kids on our honeymoon, but soon thereafter had a busy schedule and had our first child one year later!). For our first anniversary we sat at my in-laws house eating McDonalds as my wife was recovering from a C-section with our first child.

Growing up my name rhymed with many things: "Lance likes to dance with ants in his pants" was a famous one from my elementary school days, and then later my friends would joke around calling me "Lance Romance," though I'm not sure why. Nevertheless, my wife has endured life with me now for 10 years, and she deserved more than a trip to Rome with Lance Romance! But that is what she got and we had a blast!

I praise God for her as a man who massively over married, and I'm thankful for the incredible opportunity to have shared this time with her! Her price is certainly far above rubies and is a woman clearly described in Proverbs 31. No exaggeration. Anyone who knows her knows that it is an accurate description of my Beloved!

Proverbs 18:22 He who finds a wife finds a good thing, And obtains favor from the LORD.

0 Comments: