Monday, June 4, 2007

True Meaning of "Be ready in season and out of season!"

I thought I would share a funny little story that truly portrays what the Lord told us to do in 2 Timothy 4:2 - "Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season..."

We have been traveling the country looking at various ministry possibilities here in the Czech Republic. This past Sunday I was asked to come and visit a church and to share my testimony. So I was prepared to share what the Lord has done in our lives for about 3-5 minutes. However, about half way through the worship service the pastor got up to what I thought was introduce me to share my testimony. But he instead said, "at that this time brother and sister 'so and so' will come forward and sing for us, and then our missionary friend will come and bring the Word to us and share a little testimony."

I was stunned. I turned to the guy behind me who invited us to come and said, "am I supposed to preach?" He said, "yeah, do whatever you want." I looked at Sandy and said I am supposed to preach! I flung open my Bible to look for a text and in a matter of two or three minutes I was behind the pulpit expected to preach in Czech with no preparation, no notes, no anything! Just me and God and a Bible. On the way to the pulpit I asked the pastor if he was going to preach something after me and he said very kindly, "I will defer all my time to you, you can have the whole time of 20-30 minutes." By God's grace I preached a shortened version of a sermon I have done on Psalm 117, and then we enjoyed a time of rich fellowship with the saints.

It was a great reminder to truly always be ready, and to always rely on the Lord whether we are prepared with notes and an outline or not!

1 Comment:

Brett Lee said...

great testimony. i'm encouraged. even tonight i was googling this scripture. came across your site.
I had just decided to accept a last minute invite to minister (and cancel other plans). I'm not speaking in czech though :)